Monday, May 3, 2010

This poor neglected blog!

There is a chocolate smoothie recipe in the book "Eat for Health" that is very yummy. I made it yesterday and the kids shared some with me, but there was enough left to put in the freezer for another day. So there is that to eat sometime today or tomorrow.

Also, there are a few avocados that are ripe that I can put on salads, or on the black bean soup I'm making tonight for dinner.

My family was not always too happy with the things I was making for dinner, so I am making two separate dinners tonight: spaghetti for them with some ground turkey meatballs and red sauce, and I am making a black bean vegetable soup for me, that I can put avocado on top of. The recipe calls for a few things I don't have, like carrot juice and fresh tomatoes. I'm going to use canned tomatoes and just substitute vegetable broth for the carrot juice.

I felt really good today after the salad I had for lunch. It was spring greens and romaine, with some cut up pears and grapes cut in half, and some dressing that was just sugar and oil and vinegar, basically, leftover from a salad I'd made a few weeks ago. It really helped my knees.

A little while later I ate a few more plain grapes and a banana, and didn't feel as good after that, but everything is still okay.

I figured out that I shouldn't really eat things that have gluten, like wheat, which means no regular pasta, which I'm sad about. But it is okay, there are still lots of things I can have that are healthy and yummy. When I eat wheat pasta it makes me feel a little crazy and out of control or depressed and frustrated and hopeless. It is really uncomfortable to feel that way. And it also hurts my knees. Last night we had white pasta with miso sauce and tofu, and that really made my knees hurt and did all the other owie things to me and made me feel crazy. And a lot of times the next morning after I have eaten white pasta or something bready like pizza, the next morning I have intestinal cramping that is really not fun at all first thing in the morning. I don't really like thinking about all this because it is negative, but I do want to remember and not forget later and think it's okay to eat stuff like that and it will all be fine. The other thing that happened yesterday after dinner was my face and neck and arms got itchy, especially my face, and I had patches on my arms that were really itchy. It's all gone now, no itchiness anymore. I think that might be related to gluten, too, although a while ago it happened after I had rice krispie treats, and I don't think there's any gluten on those. The only thing I've eaten today is two bowls of salad.

My brother has psoriosis and he thinks maybe I have psoriatic arthritis. I hadn't heard of that before, but who knows. I don't have psoriosis, though. I guess you don't have to have it on your skin...some people just have it in their joints. But it is auto-immune, just like asthma and allergies and IBS and rheumatoid arthritis. All these things we go through are really I think just because Heavenly Father wants us back, we are his kids, and whatever we have to go through that is not fun, in order to get us to come to Him and trust Him, He'll make us go through. He wants us to learn, and wants us back I think.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there. If you can stick to gluten free, then you may find that your other auto-immune symptoms are greatly reduced.

    There are lots of great blogs and other resources out there for gluten free. Don't starve yourself. E-mail me if you need some help. pdworkman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete